Embarking on the journey of recovery comes with its own set of challenges. While setting goals in recovery is important, unrealistic goals can often be detrimental and can sabotage your recovery. Many people set New Year’s resolutions that are too far-fetched, causing disappointment and negative emotions when those resolutions are not met. This is why it is essential to consider setting attainable recovery goals for the New Year.
Let’s take a closer look at the importance of setting realistic recovery goals, consider examples of attainable goals to set in the New Year and examine the benefits of joining an addiction treatment program. To learn more about addiction treatment programs in Lexington, call us today at 855.590.9944
Why Unrealistic Recovery Goals Sabotage Your Recovery
Setting unrealistic goals is a common mistake made by many people, especially when it comes to recovery. Unrealistic goals can be frustrating, and demotivating, and can lead to a negative mindset.
It’s important to remember that the journey of recovery is not a quick fix but a continuous process. Unrealistic goals can create a sense of failure and disappointment, which can lead to relapse. Setting attainable goals can provide a sense of accomplishment and motivation to keep going.
Your New Year’s Resolutions Should Include Attainable Recovery Goals
It’s that time of year again when people start planning their New Year’s resolutions. Instead of setting unattainable goals, consider incorporating realistic and achievable recovery goals.
5 Attainable Recovery Goals To Set in the New Year
- Attend Regular Therapy Sessions – Visiting a therapist regularly can help you understand the underlying causes of addiction and teach you healthy coping mechanisms.
- Join a Support Group – Joining a support group can help you connect with others who have gone through the same experiences and can provide a sense of community and motivation.
- Practice Healthier Coping Mechanisms – Practicing techniques such as meditation, exercise, journaling, and deep breathing can help manage stress and anxiety and promote healthier living.
- Set Boundaries – Setting healthy boundaries with family and friends and avoiding people and situations that trigger cravings can contribute to long-term sobriety.
- Work on Repairing Relationships – Addiction can cause severe damage to relationships. Take time to repair those relationships by practicing good communication, making amends, and showing commitment to recovery.
Enrolling in an addiction treatment program often provides the structure and support necessary to maintain these recovery goals. These programs offer professional guidance, peer support, and a safe environment, which are crucial factors in staying committed to recovery and successfully achieving your set goals.
5 Benefits of an Addiction Treatment Program
1. Medical Management
Medical care can help manage withdrawal symptoms and monitor any underlying health conditions.
Detoxifying in a controlled and medically supervised environment can help ease the process of withdrawal.
3. Therapy and Counseling
Addressing underlying mental health and psychological conditions through therapy can help prevent relapse.
4. Support Groups
Participating in support groups can help individuals connect with others and provide a community of support.
5. Safe and Supportive Environment
Being in a safe and supportive environment can help remove triggers and promote a sense of wellness and recovery.
Get Help Today From Roaring Brook Recovery Center
If you are struggling with addiction and need help setting attainable recovery goals, consider reaching out to Roaring Brook Recovery Center. We offer a range of services that promote long-term sobriety, including detoxification, therapy, counseling, and support groups. Our trained staff members provide personalized care for each individual to ensure the best possible outcome.
An addiction treatment program can provide a safe and supportive environment to help achieve these goals and promote long-term sobriety. Roaring Brook Recovery Center offers a range of services to help support a fulfilling and successful recovery journey. Call us today at 855.590.9944 or use the Roaring Brook online contact form to start your journey to recovery and long-lasting wellness.